The case laws in Manupatra are divided into fields. Each field contains a specific information (e.g., appellant/respondent name, judges name, equivalent citation, subject, judge name, citation, acts, rules, order etc). Legal search allows you to search on a specific field or a combination of fields.
This interface gives you the single search box experience and assists you to search for key words, phrases, multiple phrases and more. You can perform Boolean search using Manu Search.
Simply type in your query and the search engine uses back end algorithms to give results based on relevancy. The results can be sorted on Decision Date; Title; Court Name and Relevance.
Manupatra has a powerful and exhaustive Citation search. While specifying all components of the citation, gets
you unique result, inputting partial information of a citation also gets you results, which helps you identify the
Click on Legal Search to access Citation Search.
Select from Indian Citation, International Citation
Select International citation to search for cases from US, UK, Srilanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
You can do Free Text search or search on Act number and title
- Select Act Search Radio Button
- Typing at least 3 characters of the Act name drop down will list the related acts, making the selection easier for you.
- Select the Act name from the drop down menu
- You may either search for query terms or select one of the options of Annex, Annexure, Appendix, Chapter, Order, Part, Schedule, Section.
- Click on search.
You can view the selected act by clicking on the icon View Selected Act
Example: In the following example we have searched for Section 2 of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Act
Search by Act Number
Select the Search by Act No. radio button.
- Enter Act Number
- Select exact match or containing all
In first example we have selected Exact Match
In second example we have selected Containing All
Clicking on the result displays the Index of the Act.
In the Act Search the user has an option to search Order & Rule in combination as well. e.g. CPC order 7 Rule 11.
- Type 3 characters of the Act CPC, Code of Civil Procedure.
- Select the Act name from the drop down menu.
- In the provision select Order No. 7, a rule box will appear next to the text Box, enter rule no in that & click on search.
- Filters Filters on manupatra give you the ability to quickly focus on the documents that are most important to you. Using filters, you can narrow a search result list by jurisdiction key words, judges name, acts referred etc. When you run a search query, the results are automatically clustered under various heads such as Court, Document Type, Subject, Judge, Ministry, Period etc. making navigation easy for the user.
- You can Sort and re-sort results on Relevance, decision date, title of case and court name.
- Add to Session List allows to save documents for the current session to view, print or email directly from the session list
- Display results provides you with options to choose to view your result with Excerpts and Case Note
- Timeline Graph gives a pictorial depiction of the results, giving a quick preview of how the search results are spread across various years .
- Toggle view provides for viewing hit list and document in same pane, thus making browsing easier and faster.
- View document in new window allows ease in browsing by allowing you to open documents in different windows.
- Save Search allows you to save your searches for future reference. You can give the search result a name by which you may recognize the search at a future date.
- You can MANAGE the saved searches by selecting the search you want to run from the list
- You can delete or rename the selected search
- Search in results allows unlimited nesting option. You may narrow down the results by searching only in the results. Check the search in results button, input your query in the search box and click on Refine
- Authority Check provides for an interactive timeline which identifies later-citing cases. It makes it easy to pick out the best cases from a large collection of results by displaying cases in an intuitive graphical format. Vertical Axis displays list of Courts and the Horizontal Axis displays year range in which case has been further cited.
- By rolling and holding mouse over a bubble, one can view extract of the case and no. of times it has been cited in future.
- Citation Summary shows how many times case has been cited, in total and separately in Supreme Court and High Courts respectively